I was listening to the Tim Ferris Podcast interviewing Dr. Michael Gervais, who is a high performance psychologist. About 50 min into it they started talking about visualization, which Dr. Gervais refers to it as imagery with goes beyond visualizing. He talks about creating an electric charging moment where we not only see what we want to achieve in full color, but feel it, hear it and smell it. How to do that? Minimizing distraction and training to improve creating those imageries. Mediation, I think is the way to do it.
I personally like Sadhguru mediation practice (Chit Shakti) that helps you visualize your goals in the short, medium and long term. I've being doing this mediation for almost 2 months. He talks about sensing joy when you feel your dreams being accomplished. He also mentions, as part of your visualization, experiencing the well being that is spread around including everyone as part of your goals. It seems to me like a great focussed life purpose, which is ultimately serving others.
For example, one of my short term goals is to improve my mother's well being. I envisioned she saying thank you to me because I found her a nicer place to live with a pleasent view with tall big trees in a place where she can walk peacefully. I imagined she is hugging me while we are sitting together in the living room looking at the branches playing with the wind. I feel her closeness, gratitude and peacefulness.
This is what I do:
- I wake up and drink 1/2 litter of water.
- I go to my living room and place a yoga matt or sleeping bag on the floor.
- I place a small cushion on top of the mat and put myself looking east doing a half lotus position, putting my back straight and lifting my head a little bit to the sky.
- I put my hands looking up resting in my tights and do a Gyan Mudra. The tips of my index and thumb are slightly touching while the other 3 fingers are bended and closed together like making a container form.
- I do deep breathing for 5 minutes. I inhale feeling my lungs and counting 10, then hold for 3 seconds, and exhale for 10 counts all through my nose.
- I do 3-5 minutes of gratitude about big things and little things. For example, God thank you for the house that I live, thank you because someone help me at the metro, thank you because I found a parking lot near the entrance of the gym, etc.
- I chant OM 7 times,
- I do the Sadhguru guided mediation to visualize, feel, touch my goals for 2, 5 and 10 years.
- At the end, I think about what I will accomplished on my day and how I can improve (e.g. forgiving somebody that hurt me).
This practice takes me 30-40 minutes. I feel great and experience that I'm more aware and conscious about my dreams during the day than when I visualize them on my phone, a paper or board sporadically. It also helps me start my day connecting to God and experiencing gratitude.